Saturday, February 14, 2009

You never realize how important something is until it is gone...

The title sounds more ominous than the post. I was giddy to have power again in the house today. Storms blew through the area Wednesday late afternoon and knocked the power out all over town. I found out that my house was affected at around 9:30pm Wednesday and decided to just hang out since it was a warm night and I figured things would be up and running shortly...wrong. I set an alarm and figured I would just shower and get ready at the office if need be. I knew it had power since I left there after the storms had passed.

I did have to get ready there. I got home after dark and left before daylight Thursday morning so I wasn't sure if there was a tree down or anything but it didn't seem that there was too much debris around. I also had tried all the breakers except for the main the night before but that didn't do anything. I started to get worried when I left for the office at 5:45am and a neighbor's light was on. Did I do something wrong that could have restored power? The short answer was...no.

I did stash some groceries from the fridge at the office. I also stashed some frozen food at my parent's house Thursday night when we stayed over there. I kept calling KUB and eventually started getting the message that "one" customer was affected. That "one" customer was me. It is amazing how many people questioned my ability of paying utility bills at this point. I assured them that wasn't the problem.

Anyway, this morning after spending another night at the parental unit's house I called KUB to see what the message said and there was not the part about the "one" customer. I was so happy that I had the potential to have power. I ate breakfast and then went to check things out. The house was warm, the fridge was cold, and I went on a whirl wind tour of food roundup. I brought everything back threw in a load of laundry and was a happy camper. I literally hopped around a little while, I was so happy.

Again, it is amazing what you take for granted. I love power and sleeping at my house...no offense Mom and Dad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment